page contents


Five sentenced at Old Bailey for brutal and fatal attack on Sukhjinder Singh, Southall

Five sentenced at Old Bailey for brutal and fatal attack on Sukhjinder Singh, Southall

Friday 22nd June 2018

The men were sentenced at the Old Bailey on Friday, 22 June, with the judge stating: "The nature of weapons used and ferocity of the attack, it is obvious you intended to kill."

Amandeep Sandhu, 31 (01.04.87) of Townsend Road, Southall was sentenced to 26-and-a-half years' imprisonment having been found guilty of murder. He was also sentenced to five years for assisting an offender, to run concurrently.

Ravinder Singh-Shergil, 32 (18.03.86) of Colville Close, Tipton was sentenced to 26 years and nine months imprisonment having been found guilty of murder.

Vishal Soba, 32 (18.03.86) of Eight Avenue, Hayes was sentenced to 16 years' imprisonment after previously being found guilty of Gurinder's manslaughter. He was also sentenced to five years for assisting an offender.

Kuldeep Dhillon, 26 (03.03.92) North Road Hayes, was sentenced to 16 years' imprisonment after previously being found guilty of manslaughter. He was also sentenced to three years for witness intimidation, to run concurrently.

A fifth man, Palwinder Multani, 37 (09.12.80), was sentenced to five years and nine months at the same court on Thursday, 21 June. He previously pleaded guilty to manslaughter and assisting an offender.

The court heard how the four used a multitude of weapons that included knives, swords and baseball bats to commit the attack on their 33-year-old victim.

The court heard that as far back as August 2013 there was a rivalry that existed between the victim and a group of men within the Sikh community. The rivalry escalated in July 2016 when it surfaced that Gurinder had been boasting about an assault he had committed on Dhillon at a religious festival in Birmingham. Associates of Dhillon wanted revenge.

On 30 July 2016, Gurinder was ambushed and violently attacked on Spikes Bridge Road in Southall by a group of men with various weapons. The men chased, beat up and stabbed Mr Singh a number of times.

Police were called and Gurinder was found suffering from a number of stab injuries. He was taken to hospital by the London Ambulance Service (LAS) where he was pronounced dead the next morning at 06:30hrs.

A post-mortem examination held at Uxbridge Mortuary on 1 August 2016 gave the cause of death as multiple stab wounds.

On 4 August 2016 following enquiries detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command attended a storage facility on Uxbridge Road in Hayes.

They obtained a warrant allowing them entry to a unit at the storage facility. Inside, officers found a number of items that included swords, a machete, a baseball bat and a crowbar. Many of the items had blood on them.

Clothing was also retrieved which again contained blood.

A forensic analysis of those items was found to contain the DNA of Sandhu including a balaclava that had been recovered there.

Soba was identified by a witness as the person with access to the unit and as the driver of a Volkswagen Golf entering the storage depot two days after the murder. He was seen entering the premises carrying a bag on his shoulder.

A telephone linked to Soba was equally shown as being in touch with Sandhu on the evening of the murder. Sandhu and Soba were arrested on 4 August 2016 on suspicion of murder.

Further analysis showed this number was also in contact with Multani immediately after the murder.

Multani was arrested at around on 6 October 2016 at his home address and, in custody during his interview, he admitted his involvement. He informed detectives that he knew Gurinder had upset a number of people who sought revenge and he was hired by them to drive people to where Mr Singh was attacked. He stated he was paid £300 for these services. Multani was charged the following day with murder and assisting an offender.

Singh-Shergil was located and arrested and charged on 26 November 2016.

On 20 September 2017, Soba - who was on court bail having been charged with assisting an offender - and Dhillon were charged with murder after further information was provided by Multani.

Dhillon was also charged with witness intimidation relating to an incident on 20 August 2017 when he approached a witness and threatened him against attending court in the upcoming murder trial.

Detective Inspector James Stevenson, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "I hope these sentences bring some comfort to Gurinder's family and friends, following his untimely death. These men used an appalling level of violence to execute their revenge on Gurinder, following a bitter feud. The attack was meticulously planned; right down to the time, location and the disposal of the weapons.

"While we now have five men behind bars, there are still more individuals we would like to speak to in regards to this killing, and I would like to reiterate my appeal for anyone with information to come forward."